Life as Seen Through a Marketer's Eyes

I love marketing, just ask my husband, who listens to me analyze every piece of marketing we are exposed. Here's some of the the random things I think about.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Shiny Stuff

I rememember being a young student in gradeschool. I thought I had a radical environmentalist idea when I realized that product packaging was wasteful. I think I actually read an article in one of those Weekly Readers that started the hype and I began intensely protesting products that had excessive packaging. And for a 10 year-old who buys candy bars at the dollar store at least three times a year with her own money, I'm sure my protest had a great impact. However, today my class had a discussion on packaging and its importance. This is another aspect of marketing that I am aware of but have given very little thought to in the past. It's amazing what a difference packaging can make. I thought of a weird example. I can't eat McDonald's hamburgers. It's not that I think I'm too go for McDonald's or that I am a vegetarian, or that I only eat healthy foods. There is just something about a McDonald's hamburger that gives me an "icky" feeling. This morning I realized what it was. It's the wrapper they put it in! It's a very low quality paper and decorated with a gross shade of red and yellow writing. However, I eat roast beef sandwhiches from Arby's all the time, and I don't even like roast beef, but they have those pretty, shiny wrappers. I was rather dissappointed when I figured out this system. I like to think I am immune to the dirty tricks of marketers because I am one of those dirty marketers... but I guess I'm just an easily persuaded sheep following the imaginary herd that marketers create, just like everyone else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

No one can resist shiny wrappers and freaky colours.


Ian

6:08 PM  
Blogger amos dettonville said...

i noticed you mentioned arby's. i laugh every time i eat there, because i think something is screwy about their in store ads. you see chicken featured everywhere - with images of a chicken everywhere (at least we do in chicken capitol USA - louisville).

my gut tells me, this is dumb - like chic-fil-a with cow images everywhere.

i go to arbys for beef, i go to chic-fil-a for chicken. yet, the images are switched.

apparently, i am wrong about chic-fil-a, because everyone seems to think the cows are funny (i think it just reminds me i am eating livestock).

still, i think the old mantra of "push what you do best" would be stronger. arby's should push beef - and chicken places should push chickens. neither should show cutesy images of the critters.

which begs the question: why do all the barbaque places have pigs all over the place?

maybe, just maybe, i am wrong.

peac4d.
amos

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home