Life as Seen Through a Marketer's Eyes

I love marketing, just ask my husband, who listens to me analyze every piece of marketing we are exposed. Here's some of the the random things I think about.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving shopping craze: I am amazed at the marketing frenzie that occurs on Thanksgiving. The newspaper is at least four times thicker than usual due to being stuffed with so many ads. Stores do all kinds of promotions like selling DVD's for $2 and giving away free stuffed animals and other dumb knicknacks that you don't really want, but hey, it's free. I recently talked to an executive at WalMart who told me they sometimes price products below their cost and lose money on that product just to get people in their store and shopping. I'm sure this occurs a lot the day after Thanksgiving. It's an interesting marketing idea... intentionally losing money to gain customers, but apparently it works because they keep doing it every year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home