Life as Seen Through a Marketer's Eyes

I love marketing, just ask my husband, who listens to me analyze every piece of marketing we are exposed. Here's some of the the random things I think about.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I appologize for my absense from my blog the past four days. I have been very sick and trapped in Idaho, of all places, because of my inability to drive. I'm feeling a little better today and plan to return to school tomorrow. To top off my terrible weekend, last night I was barely conscious but realized I need to do some laundry and, without thinking about it, I threw my sweatshirt in with my laundry, which had my cell phone in the pocket. Apparently, you aren't supposed to put cell phones through a washing machine. Well, I was in a panic all night because destroying your cell phone is a key opportunity for cell phone companies to take advantage of you. I was going to go in to the Sprint store today and they were going to charge me $150 cancellation fee on my contract or they were going to sell me a new phone for no less than $200. I would have to do one of these because they tied me into a two year contract when I signed up. Luckily, my genious fiance disassembled the entire phone last night and laid it out on a paper towel overnight to dry, and this morning when we put it back together, it miraculously still worked. TAKE THAT, SPRINT! Anyway, at some point there has got to be a low cost competitor that enters the cell phone market as competing with no contract requirements and cheap phones for those of us who don't care about cameras, etc. I want a cell phone that I can sign up for, pay month to month, and cancel anytime I want. I would probably never cancel! I think a company like this could quickly steal a large % of market share, especially if they marketed some signing bonus like, "we'll pay your contract cancellation fee for you!" Hmm... maybe I should go into the cell phone industry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home